19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”d]">[d] says the Lord.
The five grade school questions are always helpful to cover the full context and implications of a verse. You remember Who, What, When, Where, Why and How
You don’t have to make a chart. But after you are comfortable with this method, you will see most of the answers quickly. This method helps you so that you don’t miss the main point and
- There is the understood YOU…do not
- Dear Friends – Paul is referring to his readers which would include us
- The Lord God – has spoken about the situation
- Don’t take revenge
- Synonyms of revenge - payback, retaliation, retribution including emotional, verbal or physical
- Leave room for God to deal with it
- Any time someone hurts or offends you.
- Give God time…as long as God wants to take
- There is not a specific time mentioned
- God alone is judge. He is fully able and capable to avenge. His justice will be equitable.
- Paul doesn’t give a specific guideline, but there is a suggestion that helps. Don’t focus on your hurt or harm, rather focus on a loving father that watches everything that is happening to his children and addresses every need that is present. Trust that God will repay.
Father, You alone are a righteous judge. I am so thankful that you have given me mercy so much more than I deserve. It is easy to expect that you would show me mercy and not so easy to extend mercy to someone who has hurt me with their words.
Father also help me not to gloat when I see someone experiencing your wrath. It reveals the hardness of my heart, when I am thinking that they are getting what they deserve. I am also amazed at the hardness of hearts when, judgement should produce a brokenness. Yet far too often we seem to stiffen our necks rather than becoming humble.
Father thank you that you watch over everything that happens in my life and the things that happen to me. It is a great comfort knowing that I have a heavenly Father who loves me. You want the best for me at all times. Thank you for the open relationship of dialogue that you have with me on a regular basis. I pray all of these things in Jesus name.