13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
Another way to interact with a verse to turn it into a prayer is to ask questions that lead into the verse and that come out of the verse. “Questions leading in” help you to understand what the verse means or what the author was trying to communicate. “Questions leading out” are directed at the application or obedience to the verse. So let me give you a series of questions that I see in this verse.
Questions leading in
1. Was Paul talking about all the saints or is this a verse to support pastor and teacher?
2. What kind of needs was Paul talking about? Was it financial or material needs that he had in mind?
3. Was this contributing part of regular giving in the church or just helping someone when they have a need?
4. Does showing hospitality mean that he was expecting saints to invite people into their homes?
5. Probably not a lot of restaurants…so regular gathering of meals together?
Questions leading out
1. When or where in my life am I contributing to the needs of other? Is there giving that I do on a regular basis?
2. Have I heard God tell me to give to the need of another person and disobeyed or downplayed the thought as not from you, God?
3. Have I thanked everyone who has been there to help me in my time of need?
4. How often do I show hospitality by inviting people into our home
5. Is there someone in my life that I “don’t” want to come into my home?
6. Can I become a more hospitable person?
These type of questions can lead into a very interactive conversation with God in prayer. As you ask God these questions give Him time to answer. Understand that the enemy will want to accuse and dismiss your desire to follow God completely. Trust that your heavenly Father will lead you and not condemn you
Father, I love you. As I read this verse I think of Jesus stateme3nt that if you have two coats be willing to share. God I am reminded that you own all that I have and you want me to be a steward of your possessions. Thank you Father, that when we give, we get to be like you. You are a giver. John 3:16 For God so loved that he gave.. I am filled with anticipation that you are going to give me opportunities to be a giver. I love you Father, In Jesus Name Amen